Monday, January 10, 2011

Nikki Again

Because I am not brave enough (or perhaps just weary of being/feeling vulnerable), to reveal my favorite poem in Bicycles, and having already quoted my 2nd favorite lines - In order to properly care for things/ They must be loved / And touched - my 3rd favorite poem.

I know the Song
by Nikki Giovanni

I know the song
The moon sings
Though she only sings
To moonbeams
And to all the stars
That twinkle
In the night

I know the song
Her heart hears
Since she belongs
To no one
And there is none to hear
Her sing her song

I know to sing
The moon song
That mostly the moon
Sings alone
Bravely
Through the night

I know the song
The moon sings
I understand the harmony rings
That tinkle chiming for the sun

I, too, am
A motherless child
My heart and soul
Are running wild

I, too, am a motherless child

No comments: